Monday, November 22, 2010

Dear Delta:

I have NEVER, I repeat, NEVER! had a more terrible flight experience than the one I had with you last week. I am writing in my complaint, not of the airline or aircraft carrier experience itself, but of the awful customer service I was shown by one of your stewardesses. If I were you, I would fire her for sure!!!

I was travelling from Denver to Atlanta with my 2 small children. 1 who is 4 months, and the other who is 27 months. Both of them were being angels, thank heavens! The infant was asleep the whole time, and the 2 year old was watching shows on his dvd player when about half way through the flight I started to feel incredibly nauseous. I was shakey, starting to feel like I would black out or puke, and upon looking to see that no barf bags were in the seats I rang the bell for the stewardess to come. NO ONE CAME!!! After 3 rings I realized they probably weren't going to come and I was hoping to just get rid of the problem by using the restroom so I kindly asked the gentleman sitting on the aisle seat if I could get out. He was kind, even asked if he could watch my 2 year old for me, but that little guy wanted to come and I didn't have the energy to fight him so off he trotted following me down the aisle to the back of the plane. Upon getting there I waited to see a flight attendant to get their attention and ask if they would take my sleeping infant so I could have my hands free and use the restroom on my own. Well, 2 times someone came towards the back and I beckoned and called out to them, and yet they didn't even look up or pay me any attention. Thus I just stood there and waited, trying to figure out what to do next. Finally, the voice came over the speakers saying we were going to be landing soon and to take your seats. Not wanting to cause a scene by puking all over the seats or floors, or worse having the runs or something more embarrassing in my seats, i just decided to go into the bathroom anyways, YES, with both my children.

I got in their, and got all of us situated, managing to sit on the toilet with my infant, still asleep, draped across my lap, and my 2 year old at my legs. I was trying to keep my head still and from pounding and exploding off my body, my stomach from reeling, and myself balanced as the plane started to descend. Then came the knocking! The stewardess had finally taken notice and was trying to help me?! OH NO!!! Instead, she was yelling at me to get out of the bathroom, saying i had to open the door immediately. Hello! I had just sat down and was trying to alleviate some of the pain I was in, there was no way i could just come out now. I yelled back to her that i couldn't because i was sick, and she just kept yelling at me to get out! Then I heard a click and realized she had unlocked the door - with my pants at my ankles i couldn't let her come walking in so i held the handle and wouldn't let her open it. This made her more angry and she just kept yelling at me to get out. Finally, i was so exhausted myself from yelling at her that i couldn't because i was sick, and trying to keep my 2 year old quiet who was also yelling - "my mom is sick" as loud as he could to help me out, probably realizing my frustration, and holding the door shut so she couldn't walk in on me, that i just let go and decided if she walked in she would see that I was in trouble - (or at least smell that i was in some trouble - i know, TMI TMI)! Anyhow, she did just that. I let go, stopped relocking the door, and she did open it and see me - to which she said "you have to go up to your seat now!" and i responded saying that i was sick and couldn't move! She opened the door enough that the entire last row of 3 people could see, and they were looking after all the yelling so it was a pretty embarrassing moment, altho at teh time i really didn't care because i was feeling so awful and I was so mad at her for doing this to me..........and no, she didn't offer to help me out at all by taking Griffin out of my arms, or my toddler to sit down. She did close the door finally tho, and left me for the remainder of the flight sitting in their. (it was only about 10 minutes longer but felt like an eternity)

It might have been good that she made me so mad, because it definitely took my mind off being sick and alleviated my nausea for about those last 10 minutes. However, she didn't let up. I heard the couple in the last row asking her what that noise was that they kept hearing (Cash clicking the door handle and other little trash door inside) and she told them that it was a child inside, and then preceded to go off about how irresponsible of a mother i was and how it was ridiculous I had brought the kids with me in their and I was not taking to account their safety and how these types of people shouldn't be mothers! OK - NOW I WAS getting really REALLY mad! She not only didn't help me or act kindly, but she was talking badly about me to other people? I really had half a mind to just open the door and puke all over her! In some ways, i wish I would have. However, then we landed and I decided to just wait it out and then pull myself together and apologize and explain the sickness. I waited til we had fully stopped, then put Griffin - who had now woken up - on the toilet seat so I could pull my pants up and get myself together! Then I picked him up and turned around and opened the door.

The couple was staring right at me, with a look of utter disgust on their faces, and a few others looked back to see what was going on too. I leaned my head out and apologized to the stewardess, explaining that I had taken an antibiotic for my sinus infection and I thought I had had a bad reaction to it and that was what had caused my nausea, and other sickness. The airline stewardess was anything but understanding! Instead, she just kept on saying it was so dangerous and I should have just went back to my seat, and teh pilot was going to keep flying around and delay the landing, but decided that for the rest of the passengers it was just better to land anyways! DUH!!! I was fine in there, and of course it was better to just land! I was really annoyed by how rude she was being to me, but upon feeling really lightheaded and sick again i just had to sit down and kind of tune out to all going on.

She asked me if I needed a wheel chair, but was so rude about it I told her I thought if i could just get some fresh air and some water and an apple I might be fine. I sat there, getting worse while waiting for everyone to exit, tho, and was wondering if maybe the wheelchair might have been a good idea. While we were waiting my 2 year old was exploring and asking a million questions about what everything was. The stewardess answered a few, not very nicely, but she did answer a few - to which he then asked "why" each time. He kept saying "what's that?...over and over and then when she told him he would ask why! Well, after one time too many i guess for her he said "why?" and then she responded with "stop asking why! you are being annoying!"

HELLO RUDE Airline stewardess - HE IS A 2 year old! He asks questions, and even if you think it, you do not tell my child he is annoying! He wasn't yelling, crying, throwing things, or causing any other sort of problems - so if he wants to ask why or any other question let him - and if you don't like it don't answer! SHEESH!!! Do NOT be rude to my son!

Well, after that I was just plain mad, and once everyone got off we headed up to get our stuff - she followed me and Cash up there and as I was bent over the seat, trying to pick up 2 backpacks, a diaper bag, 2 blankets, Cash's shoes, and my painting while holding Griffin she finally asked if she could help by holding the baby! REally? This would have been nice 45 minutes ago, but yes, i did need the help and i was feeling so awful that my pride had to be gone and i accepted the gesture, altho not done nicely, that she gave. I just wanted to get off the plane as fast as i could! On our way out another stewardess, much kinder all be it, offered to give me to bags in case i got sick on the next flight, and a water bottle and apple. We made our way off and got our stroller, car seat, and everything loaded onto it and then tried to find the bathroom.

I was feeling worse than ever and yet was so mad and just wanted to call Chip! We made our way into the family bathroom, and i immediately broke down when he answered, telling him what had happened, that I was so sick, and that i didn't think I could get on the next flight! OH it was awful!

He told me to walk to the next gate and tell them what was going on and see if there was a later flight or decide if i could do it - at this point i didn't think i could - but the alternatives were to stay in the airport overnight, find a hotel - which i didn't have the strength to go figure out a taxi and hotel here and have the 2 kids by myself while doing this being so sick - and so as I walked to the next gate i prayed with all my might I would have teh strength to just get on. I figured that an hour more of flying, even if i ended up throwing up into the bag or in the bathroom again - would be better than braving the airport alone for many more hours with the kids by myself - so we made the decision to just get on! We were in the back row of the plane, right next to the bathroom, and once again my kids were angels and griffin slept the whole time after take off and Cash was good (altho we had left his binky on the previous plane in the havoc of getting off and taht caused quite a lot of problems for us both on this flight and at home at bedtime)!!!

After about 1/2 hour i started to feel much better and by the end of the flight i was feeling pretty good - thank heavens, but the first part was a little shaky and griffin was screaming, cash didn't want to put his seat belt on, and it was a little chaotic and all i could do was sit there as the next stewardess yelled at Cash to do it and tehn preceded to do his seatbelt for him, cuz i was feeling too awful! It was pretty much teh worst flights EVER!!!!

Mostly, i am just REALLY dissatisfied with Delta right now and plan to never fly them again! That stewardess needs to find a new job in my opinion!

Well, we did make it home, with all our luggage, and thank heavens Chip's business trip was cancelled and he was able to be home with me and the kiddos that night because once i hit the couch i was pretty much out of it the rest of the night I was so tired! And thank heavens for good friends also, who helped us at the airport getting our bags, and also provided dinner to us! Thanks Melissa and Tracy for being so great and really welcoming us back the best way someone could!

Altho as we were driving home Cash said "mommy - I want to go back to Grammy's! I just want to go home to Grammys house!" Well Cash - mommy wants to go home to Grammys too! At that moment that was my desire and I just wish we were back where I had a mommy to take care of me and make sure all my needs are met! It was a great trip and we do already miss it a ton!

However, it is nice to be back too - now that the flights are over! I have no desire to fly alone with 2 kids any time soon - or fly at all anytime soon now tho ----- and defintiely have NO intention of using Delta again! You need much better customer service I say!!!

5 comments:

Brent and Britta said...

Dang! That sounds like the worst day EVER! I can't believe she opened the door on you! You've just convinced me to never fly alone with kids. I'm so sorry you had to go through that!

Rian Krommenhoek said...

I'm just glad you made it back! I was so worried about you after talking to Chip when you were still in Atlanta and he thought he might have to fly there to get you.

Suzie Soda said...

Send me your new phone number. xoxo

Lisa said...

I am so sorry that your flight back was horrible. I can't believe she opened the door on you. I am glad that Chip was able to be there when you got home. You are a wonderful mother and don't take to heart anything that lady said.

Kari said...

That finalizes it...I'm never flying alone with my two boys! Seriously sounds like a nightmare. Now you have a great survival story.:)