Thursday, February 25, 2010

1st week Recap in CHINA!!!!

First, i want to thank my mom and brother doing the last 2 posts for me!
They were a little different than I would have done them - but glad they got posted!

SO, I have SO much to write about in the short week we have been here, but just will do short highlights for journalling purposes, so as not to bore you - and the next post will be with pictures of some things here!

1st - TRIP TO IKEA!!! a total experience here. I have NEVER seen so many people in one place at a time ANYWHERE in my life as how many people were in each level of IKEA! To give you an indication - it took us 5 1/2 hours to get 5 items, because we could barely move our cart thru people. EVERYONE wanted to touch Cash and shake his hand, and by the end he was running up to random strangers and jumping into their arms! If i ever go back I will take a picture because describing the madness does not do it justice (altho I am not sure i ever want to go back)

2nd - grocery shopping! my first experience doing this was at the Chinese Walmart across the street! The smell alone almost killed me when we first walked in. They have meat sitting out uncovered, and people just comb thru it with their bare hands - I saw a lady going thru pigs feet and instantly felt woozy! Everything is in chinese money and the conversion is weird so it is a little tricky figuring it all out - but I will definitely get pics of this! Once you get away from the meat the rest is not so bad! (i think i might go vegan here tho, and those who know me know how much i love meat!)


3rd - food in general - just getting grocery shopping done is a feat by myself. I have to take the stroller so i have a place to put bags, but then getting a cart is impossible while i am by myself - produce goes bad quickly so have to go often, and because things get heavy you also have to go often. Picture this: Me pushing Cash in the big stroller, bags full and hanging off in all directions, balanceing it all as we go up the escalator to escape, then across the street and up to our 11th floor apartment. Oh, and me being 5 months pregnant and getting ever bigger!!! yeah, a pretty crazy site! (thus a reason alone we are gettting a nanny soon!)

4th - blogs/facebook and TV- both blocked by the government here so in trying to access them i ruined my computer the first week we were here - which means i lost Cash's journal and some pictures and other important items to me! (a major breakdown occurred at this point!) Also, the TV here only has 4 english channels, which are horrible, and until this week I couldn't access any of my favorite shows on the web so it was also awful - altho I have found site I can now go to and get some of them - t honestly made my entire day to get to watch American Idol online!

5th - TRAFFIC here - one word, INSANE! Cars, cabs, and buses do NOT yield to pedestrians, everyone honks every other second, there aren't many signals, and altho some people bike and ride motorcycles I would never attempt that unless i had a death wish! It is sheer chaos, and yet when in the cabs I don't feel like I am going to die like I did in NY. For some reason, even with how close they get to hitting other cars, I have yet to see a wreck or any human actually get rundown! The taxi drivers don't speak ANY english - and so giving instructions to get anywhere is SO hard and I have to just have a chinese person write down our address in charactersa and carry it at all times so when we get lost we can have a way back!

6th - The Subway - I feel this is nicer and cleaner then most subways, way easier to navigate around and it is very well labeled and they have maps everywhere, but during rush hour - there is nothing like it. You literally have to shove people out of the way to get on and off. At other hours it is fine, but whne the masses are there - people start shoving their way on before those wanting to exit can even get off, and if you don't push and shove, you just might not get to where you are going. I was really nervous going for my first time and I think a chinese guy realized that so he grabbed ahold of me and held me close to the door! Cash didn't seem to mind, but inside it is like what I imagined it to be like for the jews getting hauled off to a Natzi camp - wall to wall people with little breathing room! Also, lots of stairs and so I get my exercise just taking Cash to and from the place!

7th - our apartment! Finally, something not so chaotic! I really like it, it is pretty nice, and plenty spacious, with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a big living area with comfy couches, to watch all those chinese channels - i will post pics soon!

8th - our ward/branch - SO GREAT!!!! EVERYONE is super friendly, willing to help and answer questions, and lots of young families just like us! Also, such a small world - in our branch we have a fellow timpviewite (Amy Anderson (now Carlson)), a fellow couple from our BYU marreid ward back in provo a few years back, and a good friend of a friend there that we made a connection! Everyone else is super nice and I feel I already have a little friend group! A great help here!

9th - the JET lag - thought it wouldn't be so bad but has taken over a full week to adjust! Heard it takes a week when coming and 3 days when going back - so hopefully won't be bad when we come to visit later on!

10th - ONE HUGE TRAUMA - yetserday Cash got his fingers stuck in the elevator door as it was opening - he slid is fingers along with the door as it opened and they got stuck betwee the wall and the door - it was SO SCARY!!! He was screaming, I couldn't get them out, the door wouldn't open or shut - i thought i was going to yank his fingers off and lose them - i started screaming for help, and finally just shoved the door the rest of the way open and popped his hand out! It was so scary by the time we entered our place we were both crying SO hard - i was just so sad he was in so much pain, and scared he had broken fingers - he actually calmed down first tho and then gave me hugs and kisses and said "mama" as if to say he was ok! After some milk and m&M's he was great! And he has been using his fingers fine the rest of the day! Phew! It was really worst thing as a mother ever!


Over all, it is a HUGE adventure, and after a few big breakdowns I feel I am embracing the differences and starting to be adventurous and get out and explore! (and dare i say even LIKE it here!!!) I have a great chinese tutor, and so hopefully can learn a few things to help me get around!
more pics on the next post!

10 comments:

merathon said...

i love your insight into what it's like over there, cuz i may never get over there to see for myself in this lifetime! i think it would be so fun to have an adventure like that and it sounds like you are really embracing it-- stinky meat and all! yay for going vegan! :)

Julie Nelson said...

Stephanie-this brings back so many memories. And reminds me of what we are getting into again in 9 weeks. We leave for Nanjing on May 3rd. You will do great in China. You have a strong and adventurous spirit. I know women who would refuse to go and would hurt their husbands careers by not going--so I'm proud of you!! China is a great place. Every time I would get confused or upset by something I would just say to myself "YOU ARE IN CHINA" and remember that just because it is different doesn't make it wrong!!

Lindsey said...

Sounds crazy, I miss you, can I call you tonight... If you can access bachelor you have to watch the girls tell all...JUICY!

Alison B said...

I feel like I am on my mission. Craziness. You'll be fine. I actually know a great family in Beijing...I just remembered. SHe was in my mission. Here name is Sarah Wilcox. She's awesome. Good luck! Can't wait to see pictures!!!

Suzie Soda said...

Wow..what an adventure and how great you can do it while you are young and your kids are young. Sorry about Cashie's fingers..very scary. The meat thing sounds gross but I guess when you cook it... it is all ok. Are you really getting a nanny? Crazy. I tried to call 2x's but get no answer either time. xoxoxo

Adria said...

Wow! That's pretty much all I can say. Just remember, those crazy adventures make for great stories. Can't wait to hear more, but hopefully no more finger/elevator incidents. Miss you.

Desiree Bowen said...

I've been thinking so much about you Steph! What a wild adventure you are on! It sounds very scary, but it sounds like you are figuring things out and adjusting more and more. I am sure you will be a pro at living in China soon enough :) The story with the elevator sounded horrible!!! I am so sorry that you and Cash had to go through that!!!

Bonnie @HobbytoHOT said...

wish we were there!

Chad and Margaret Olson said...

ummmmm...seriously? YOu live in china?!!!!! When in the world did this all happen. I did not check for a long time and you up and moved to China and got pregnant. Holy moly Steph, you have been busy! Wow. China huh? Crazy!

Amy and Clark said...

Oh, Steph! What a week! Thanks for sharing all the interesting, crazy and super hard things about your adventure thus far. So glad there are friendly faces near and that the computer is up and running and that Cash's fingers are okay! Things are bound to keep getting better!