Sunday, May 2, 2010

Potty Training and Prostitutes!

So this weekend once again was packed with adventures and interesting events!
I would just like to share the 2 that shocked me the most and made my jaw drop!

First, as I have established before, the chinese culture is very different here! One thing that is different is how they pottytrain their infants/toddlers! First, they have them wear split pants and just let them walk around with their bums blowing in the wind - it is very weird and gross to see sometimes as we are places, and I have to really watch the play areas I let Cash in because I don't want him picking up any diseases from the unsanitary conditions that are caused by these! Then, when they want the child to go to the bathroom they put them over a sink, or some other place in nature, or even a garbage can in the stores, and start whistling or running water to get them to pee. I think this is weird alone, but then i saw this:

We were enjoying some shopping at ChienMen with our friends, and Rian and I just had bought hats and were headed to find the bunch, when I looked down at a dad holding an (probably) 8 month old on his lap in cradle style. I thought nothing at first until I noticed ann empty water bottle held to the boy's crotch, of course he had split pants on, and he was whistling - he was getting this little baby to pee in a bottle right there in front of a store - SO WEIRD!!!! I am not sure if it was working - but it was really weird!
Is it bad if I sometimes want to start whistling when I see people holding their children with the pants on to see if I can make them have an accident on their caretaker? I just wonder if it would work!

Now for shocker #2:
We were trying to get into taxis to go home, a major hard thing since it is a holiday weekend and we needed 2 cabs for us both, but Chip had finally found one and Rian and I were loading the 2 boys in with us when this man approached Chip and asked if he spoke English. The guy had a very thick Russian accent and looked so greasy and dirty. when Chip said yes the guy then preceded to ask "Do you know where I can find girls in the city to have sex with?"

Hello - first of all what a perverted world we live in that people would even ask questions about this, but also do you not see he is helping his pregnant wife and child into the car - do you really think my clean cut, loyal, and wonderful husband would be the person to ask this too! Sheesh! My jaw is still on teh floor from this question, and all right in front of us and the kids!

However, we had a great time, got a cute cute hat I will probably wear sometime in Utah next week so look for its cute debut, had a wonderful evening picnic in the park with friends, fun in the water for Cash at our place that has fountains coming up out of the ground, and numerous photos taken of us and the kids when we were out and about at our shopping trip. At once point Rian and I had the 2 boys, are both pregnant, and we had about 20 people looking at us and taking pictures - I almost felt like an animal in a zoo or something - and we thought maybe we should strike a pose, but instead just kept talking and ignored them! Really, don't think we are that much of a spectacle to gawk at, but boy do the chinese people like too!

Happy weekend! Off to eat some killer dinner made by Chip with some awesome friends!

3 comments:

Britta said...

it would have been hilarious if chip didn't even hesitate to answer the Russian dude, then you're jaw would be doing more than just dropping!

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

Wow...those are two big shockers! What did Chip say to the guy? How awkward! That really is sad.

So weird about the potty training tactics. And to start trying at 8 months?!?! That's just pure silliness. Glad you can come home to normal America next week.

Suzie Soda said...

This places sounds so weird. Not sure I ever want to go there. I think I will watch it on the travel channel or IMAX. Are you going back to stay in China after your vacation? How long will you be there? xoxoxo