Tuesday, November 20, 2007

FAIRYTALES....and the answer to the question WHY?!?


As I have previously mentioned, I am one of those individuals who loves REALITY tv. And last night, after watching the debacle of a finale of The Bachelor, I had to contemplate why I have fallen in love with that show and continue to watch it every season.





For a show that was supposed to end in true love, it ended in a complete disaster, with neither woman being chosen, both leaving in tears, both asking why?, Brad (the bachelor) sitting alone staring at the ring he had chosen but then did not give to anyone, and a whole lot of upset fans!!!





My husband has pointed out numerous times to me that this show is a complete waste of time. He feels it exploits women and makes them look completely stupid and ridiculous -- which I must admit it sometimes does; then there are always the crazy girls who do the most outlandish things to get the bachelor's attention; and then usually in the end the happy fairytale ending doesn't last much more than a few blissful months once the cameras aren't rolling, the glamour is stripped away, and TRUE REALITY actually sets in!





So why then do those of us who can't miss an episode, who set the TVO each week, who look forward to an hour of catfights, draMa, tears, and picking out who will be sent home and who will be the lucky ones to get the rose, love it so much? Doesn't that seem a little twisted? A show that has more heartache endings then fairytale ones continues to hook us in and capture our undivided attention. I have pondered this question at the end of every season, as I am feeling remorse for the one girl he should have chosen, happiness for one picked, and that weird sense that I now longer will be associating with my new friends that I now feel a bond with, not that I really know them at all....but we get that feeling right? So why? Why do we watch the show expecting a fairytale ending, only to discover the truth that fairytales really do not exist?



I recently figured out my answer to this question of WHY?



The reason I like it so much and keep coming back to watching it is that I think innately inside each and every human we all desire to have that happy ending, that fairytale story. Although watching it does not provide one for us, it allows us to escape our own worries, trials, and problems, for one small moment and enter into this dream and imagine ourselves in this fairytale-like life. At least for me, I imagine myself getting to do the super fun, romantic dates, getting the pretty dresses and amazing jewelry, having the perfect relationship with the perfect guy, and having all the romantic moments they show! Although it really isn't reality, it allows all who watch to experience emotions that are, in fact, a part of all our lives and what we long for. I actually feel the happiness, sadness, frustrations, anger, love, etc. along with those on the show. (am i totally crazy experiencing this?)



As I pondered last night about the upset that no woman was chosen, although there were 2 great, beautiful women, and the bachelor seemed so great and nice.....I had another realization. I really am living in my own fairytale. I am. It isn't perfect, I don't have all the diamonds or gowns from the show, my house definitley is lacking in the number of candles when compared to the show, and I have never received a card from Chris inviting Chip and me to the fantasy suite --- however, I have married the most perfect man for me, who I love more and more each day, who is my prince charming, makes me laugh, loves me back, who I am so excited to live through eternity with, and who has given me his heart and the "final rose", and I wouldn't trade it for anything. As I watch these shows, or hear comments made by others about their husbands/boyfriends - both good and bad - I realize that I truly am spoiled and I really am living in a fairytale.



So why do I watch this show? Because it allows me to realize what my own personal fairytale ending is....and that I am actually living it!!! I love you my PRINCE CHARMING!!!




All of you who feel the same way --- please share something you have discovered about your fairytale ending!!!!

9 comments:

The Reichmans said...

I can't believe that he didn't choose anybody-I bet ABC was a little upset with him.

KESLER KREW...Cami said...

Steph - I actually posted something about this tonight. You can read my post and see how I feel about the Bachelor but I feel both girls should have kicked him somewhere hard and then walk gracefully back to the limo and laugh because he is such a lamo. And I didn't even watch the season...and I can't believe how rude it is. And by the way, I too feel like I am living my fairytale...somedays more than others but I don't think I could find anyone else as amazing as Cameron to put up with me!!!
Luv ya girl! Cami

Chad and Margaret Olson said...

How freakin annoying was that ending and how pissed was Deana! That was the most awkward after the final rose conversation, I felt bad for Brad but I couldn't believe he didn't choose anyone!!

Maurine said...

In response to Anne I think ABC was loving it because it was a big scandal and I think it boosted the ratings. I was annoyed at first, but I am actually glad he didn't pick either one because they both deserve someone that loves them...and apparently he didn't find love even though he sure acted like he was in love with both of them. It does make me grateful that I found someone that loves me!

Phyllis said...

Chip is right. That show is a complete waste of your time and your brain! Why not spend the time doing something wonderful for your Prince Charming, or for others who feel like their lives are less than fairy tales. There's so much you could do if you turned off the tv. Try it for one week and find out!

Phyllis said...

By the way. I also have my own Prince Charming. Lucky lucky me!!

Jess Perry said...

I hate that bachelor. He is such a confused man. You almost feel bad for him because he is so pathetic.
My happy ending keeps getting relived everyday as I get to spend it with my sweetheart and share new moments everyday! Life is so sweet!

Brent and Britta said...

Steph - no worries. I'm hooked too. I think that it's like watching the Academy Awards or the Grammy's. Half of us watch it to see the pretty dresses, and the other half watch it to see who wins and if our predictions are right.
I don't long for it. I am loving my bachelor more and more every day. The best part - when we first started dating he had to choose between me and another girl... guess who got the final rose?

Jess Perry said...

Hey Steph, would you do me a favor and send me your address? I am updating my book for Christmas cards. jessbperry@hotmail.com

And I am feeling fine these days. Just watching what I do because I have contractions if I move. But I still gotta live. How is everything going with you guys? Big plans for Christmas?