Saturday, August 16, 2008

From Rags to Custom......MY NEW CHAIR

So I decided after looking & sitting in different rocking chairs that I would rather have a LazyBoy rocking recliner than a hard wooden rocker....especially knowing how much time I will probably be spending in this thing every night. I wanted something I could fall asleep in and would be comfortable on my arms and back, as well as be able to kick my feet up. So the quest began....I looked on Craigslist and many a different website to find my LazyBoy recliner....and find I did --- although all of them were upwards of $500........that is for the ones I wanted!

Then one Saturday as I was hanging out at a friend's garage sale, we decided to drive around the neighborhood and check out the other sales people were having! We went around and didn't see much so started to head back when I took a wrong turn. However, as we drove down the wrong street what did we see sitting on the side of the road between 2 houses all by itself?

Yep -- this LONE CHAIR ---- a rocking lazyboy recliner!!!!! And the best part, the family was just giving it away FREE!!!!! Score, so we went and got my friend Adria's van and brought this treasure home!!!




As you can see -- it isn't the prettiest chair ever, nor did it match my nursery plans at all ---- but my friend Adria said she would help me recover it, and so my next big project was planned for me! Going from sewing the bedding to taking on this project was going to be big, but I made my mind up that we could do it!

$80 later for the great microfiber brown fabric I wanted, and 2 days of hard work by my friend Adria (while I tried to help but mostly just watched her kids while she did 90% of the work) and this chair --- which I must say is in PERFECT condition---- was turned into this:






I absolutely LOVE it --- she did an AMAZING job!!!! I actually had the chair appraised at a fabric store to see how much it would cost to just pay someone else to reupholster it for me, and was told it was $450 for the re-upholstering + 11 yards of fabric ---- which at that store ended up being a total of $750!!!! Way too high a price for me, so I went and got my own fabric which I liked even better and was only $8/yard.....and so for just $80 and some hard work I got one FABULOUS CHAIR for my nursery.....

I made that pillow to match --- chocolate brown w/ cream polkadots, blue, and orange and cream striped trim, which matches the baby bedding I also am finished with and will post pictures of in tomorrows post after removing everything piled in the crib right now!!!!

Thank you Adria for all your hard work......reupholstering is NO easy task --- and it looks SO great! More pics of the nursery to come soon................

9 comments:

Brent and Britta said...

WOW! I never would ahve guessed that that was the same chair! Night and day! Great find!

Courtney said...

Holy crap! Can I hire this Adrie person? I have an incredibly ugly chair that needs some major fixing! Does she happen to live in California?

Jess Perry said...

It looks awesome!! I would've never guessed it was that beat up to begin with!! Great job!

Lindsey said...

It turned out so great! I am excited to see the end result, with the baby in crib... just a few days more!

KESLER KREW...Cami said...

k that is serioulsy legit and i would be holding on to a friend like that, talent!!! i am dying for a post on the babe....just cant wait to hear, hope all goes well! luv cami

Lisa said...

It looks great and comfortable! I saw just a peek of the baby bedding in that first picture. The suspense is killing me!

Suzie Soda said...

Wow It looks great. Hope you are doing well. I have tried to call a few times. Keep us posted on the baby. Lv, suz xoxoxo

Steve and Amanda said...

Steph- I LOVE the chair. How are you? Have you had the baby? I need to call you..when and why are you moving? I hate that you will be further away from me =(

Jon and Lara Stowell said...

Wow I just checked your ticker and it says 3 more days! You're almost there!!!!! Hope labor and delivery go well for you. Post pictures of the baby ASAP!!!