Tuesday, December 16, 2008

CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS


On the Wendy's sign it reads: "Jesus. The reason for the season." At first I thought it was weird but now every time I drive by I look for it and love reading it!!! I have been thinking a LOT over the past month about the holiday traditions I wanted to start with my family. It didn't seem like a big deal to me when I was growing up as to whether or not we followed the traditions I loved as a child - but now that we have a son I have been thinking a lot about what I want him to get out of Christmas and what would be fun for us to do as a family for the holidays and so have compiled a list of things we are going to implement this year and for the years to come!!! I wanted to have fun traditions, but also spiritual traditions that really allow our family to feel the true Christmas spirit and focus on what the season is all about!!!


TRADITIONS LIST:
Decorate the tree while watching Elf & having hot chocolate
Picking out your pair of socks to use as your stocking (this year i LOVE all of ours!!!)
Going to see the Temple lights...
Acting out the nativity
Serving at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter
Hosting an ugly sweater party - with lots of fun games!!!
Opening up PJ's on Christmas eve
Giving the kids an ornament each year, and then when old enough getting them their own little fake tree for their room with all their ornaments!!!
Going to a movie on Christmas day!
Attending the Forgotten Carols play (if possible) or at least reading it
Listening to Christmas songs every day starting Nov. 26th
Giving our kids a gift dealing with something spiritual each year
Not eating sweets from Dec 1-Dec 25 (this is just for me and I have done it this year and think I will do it next year too - helps me avoid overeating at all the holiday parties)
Making Gingerbread houses
Getting kids picture taken with Santa
Having our family night where we make our Christmas wish lists for Santa, and then our list of 3 things we are going to give to Christ! (this is one of my favorites!!!)

If you read this please share your favorite holiday tradition.....the must have one you can't go year without doing! We would love to add more!!!

Our stockings - Cash, mine, Chip's (sorry they are a little small in this pic)


Some of my delicious healthy food I have been eating (since I am not eating sweets)


Soup to go with the delicious bran muffins and baked apples above


Chip and I all dressed up for his company party - our first time leaving Cash with a babysitter!

Our Staircase (1 of them) and small tree since we didn't get a big tree this year!!!

8 comments:

The Reichmans said...

Pretty picture of you! I have been a terrible blogger lately and so I had lots to catch up on. I really like that story you told about your enrichment.

Bonnie @HobbytoHOT said...

Love your dress woman! And . . . what do you mean docile, yeah right LOL!

I know, I deserve it all :)

Love you guys.

Brannon and Jen said...

I love all your christmas traditions! What a hot mama!

merathon said...

that is a lot of traditions to keep up! wow! one tradition that we did growing up and that we have and will forever do in our family is that on christmas morning we have a big yummy breakfast upstairs in one of the bedrooms BEFORE we can go downstairs and see what santa brought. we just spread out a tablecloth on the floor and we all eat together and it is so much fun and builds the anticipation to going downstairs! my mom started it many years ago because she wanted us to get some good food in our stomachs so we wouldn't fill up on candy from our stockings! my kids are already talking about eating breakfast on their bedroom floor-- they LOVE it!

Lisa said...

You and Chip are looking good!! Steph your dress looks awesome on you! I am glad that you had a fun formal night together.

paul brown said...

your blog is way to wordy

paul brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
abo-bder said...


فني دش بالرياض
فني ستائر بالرياض
فني ايكيا بالرياض
نجار بالرياض