Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Exactly 1 year ago today......

We set off at 4 am to catch flights to embark on our adventure in
CHINA!!!!

Thinking about this brings back a flood of emotions:
I was so scared and nervous for the flights and for the new country
Would I like the food, would I find friends, would I be able to really have a baby here?
Would I be able to overcome the language barrier, find my way around, be able to handle the time change back to the states?
Most of all - would I be able to live here and be happy for the rest of the year?

I was so sad to leave all my friends back home, and yet anxious and excited to see what it would bring. Now, as I look back I can't help but wish a little bit that it was last year at this time so we could be setting off all over again on the experience.
What an AMAZING experience it was!

I find myself missing China - some days more than others, missing my life there, and longing to be back. I am happy to be home in the US too, but I do miss:
The AYI to help with all my cleaning
The markets
Walking almost everywhere (i know, surprising)
Feeling of safety!
My children being celebrities
NOT understanding everyone
the chinese walmart
Cheap foot massages
Xiao Wang Fus
Cheap sushi
and MOST of all the FRIENDS we had there!

Crazy to think it has been a year - what a great year - hopefully this one will bring as many fun adventures!

3 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

It was very cool that you got to do it and neat to tell Griffie he was born in China. xoxo

Rian Krommenhoek said...

This is Coy, Kees, & Rian (Maaike is down for a nap). We are overjoyed that you embarked on such an adventure, because you made our experience so great! If for nothing else but to gain your friendship we are glad we went to China too. Kees misses movie time with Cash and Coy wishes she could still go to the pool with you guys. Rian says move to Utah! Love you guys!

hillary and britton said...

Hey I was just thinking of you. It's crazy that was a year ago eh!? We had incredible times and adventures! I agree with Rian, you should move to Utah :)