Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A very scary visit............from the chinese police

Ok - so we were having an enjoyable, quiet, morning of cleaning the house and sweeping, when our bell rang. I pushed the button to see who our unexpected visitors were, and then I heard them. They weren't down in the lobby, but already up at our door!

I opened it to find 4 chinese men and 1 woman staring at me. To paint you a picture these were not normal looking, small and skinny chinese people. These were HUGE, tall AND big, police people and I was scared stiff in my tracks!

The first one said - we need to see your passports - you and the babies. What? why? I just took care of our visa (or so i thought) last week. Since when do police come track you down in a city of millions? How do they find you?

Well, I immediately called Chip (who happened to be gone on business to a different city) and frantically started looking - the whole time thinking what if I can't find them and they drag us to the airport and put us on a plane back to the US right now? Hello, we are NOT illegal aliens here!

After not getting a hold of Chip, sending a very urgent text to call asap, I heard the guy say "don't hide in the bedroom if you can't find them......hello, come out here please"

I responded I wasn't hiding, but simply looking for them. They then said if I didn't have them they could just have the numbers for them. At this point Chip called. He said they were with our VISA agent and he didn't know the numbers either. I handed the phone to the policeman and Chip talked to him - he said just to tell him our names and then he said that was ok and they could leave.

WHat? I could have given them our names? Why they got to be so scary and mean to me, and then just accept our names from some guy over the phone that they only can guess is actually my husband. Well, that was it - after talking to Chip they were ready to leave.

However, they wanted a picture of Cash with them. They picked him up and had one guy take their pictures - then, they asked if they could have a picture with me. Heloo - I was wearing sweats, had NO makeup, my hair was a mess - i was clearly NOT expecting visitors and my heart was racing now that they had scared me, and they wanted a picture?

Under normal circumstances I would have said no- but these were the police and I was willing to do anything to get them to leave! Yeah, my heart is still pounding hard! Scary to think they can just send you or get you whenever they want!

6 comments:

merathon said...

whoa-- that is FREAKY! glad you kept your cool. . . too bad you didn't get them to take a picture with YOUR camera too so you could have shown us all what crazy Chinese police look like!

Sara Stevenson said...

What the???!! That is crazy! Sorry I haven't called you yet Brandon's sister has been in town. Glad everything is ok now! Miss you!

Amy and Clark said...

Welcome to life in a foreign country! I love that they wanted your picture.

Suzie Soda said...

Wow ....how werid. I was scared just reading your post. Glad they left and all is ok. Get those numbers so if anyone comes back you have them. Crazy adventures in the life of the Brown's. xoxo

Adria said...

Holy Freakamoly! You're a magnet for adventures. I'm glad the chinese actually stuck to the steriotype and took your picture. Hilarious.

Sandy said...

What??? Crazy!!! Totally freaky!