Thursday, September 23, 2010

Kimmy Update and Qualms with Cab Drivers

ok - so here's the skinny on kimmy:
MRI was cancelled monday, and is being done instead on Thursday morning at 7 am!
Here's to hoping answers come soon - and that they are good, yet find something they can do to fix the headaches!

NEXT - lately i have had way too many crazy cab incidents - so decided to post top 3 so as not to forget them or the great experience they are here in Beijing.

#1: The Case of the Wet Back Seat

Cash dumped water ALL over himself and the cab back seat. AS in, it was soaking, and pretty much the water bottle was empty! Well, the cab driver got out when we were getting out (dang it - was hoping that would not happen) and saw the mess, and started yelling at me in chinese. My friend was there, and she said he was saying "don't leave me - don't walk away from me, don't just walk in front of me....what am i supposed to do, give me more money..." Well, I just walked away from him anyways and kept going, because, well - what was I supposed to do? I didn't have towels, or anyting to wipe it up, and what i did have was 2 crying kiddos and it was raining and I just needed to get inside. WEll, after we walked away and he stood there angrily watching us go the whole time - my friend then figured out why he was so angry.....he probably thought Cash had peed all over his seats! Yep - since the kids here where split pants and just go whever, that is what he thought happened...especially since when cash was getting out he slid over the seats and left bum prints the whole way......look mr. cabby, however - before you get your panties in a knot, take a wiff and just realize it was only water - because hey, i am american and we believe in wearing diapers and not letting our kids have accidents everwhere!

#2: The Case of Stephanie "when in china, behave like the chinese!

So when we first moved here I used to be polite. Yes, I used to kindly let oters go before me if they were there first, wait to have my veggies weighed til others were done, etc etc. Well, then I got pushed around, was late to functions, and was just getting frustrated and sick of trying to be polite.....so now I act like the chinese people and push and fight my way through -- and especially when it comes to getting a taxi!

Last Thursday we had been waiting outside for a cab for 20 minutes. Chip was holding Cash, and I had Griffin in the front pack. It was windy and starting to rain and no cabs were coming so we walked up to the main road and split up to opposite sides to try to get one faster. Well, after 5 minutes one finally came. I waited patiently for the couple inside to get out, and was standing on the side of the driver - often tho the back door is locked because they like you to only get out on the other side. I looked over and what did I see - a teenager opening up the front passenger door to get in. "Bu yow, Bu Yow!" I said "This is my cab and I was here first and you are not taking it from me or butting me to get in. Get away!" I just got a blank teenage stare back - either the typical response often elicited by teenagers when they don't want to listen, or the stare any chinese person gives when they want to act like they don't understnad you because you aren't speaking chinese...the - 'lost in translation' stare as I call it! And he did what? Yes, preceded to get in the car and gesture for his girlfriend to do the same.

Oh NO YOU DIDN'T...I thought and I went around the cab, opened the door, grabbed him by the shirt collar and nicely pulled him up out of the car and told him again I was waiting there first and this was my cab. I yelled to Chip to come over, and as he did I helped the boy over to his scared looking little girlfriend...Thank you for exiting without a fight or yelling back at me like the usual response is....but just so you know - i have learned that is the chinese way of scaring americans into giving them what they want, and I don't give in anymore! So good thing this guy didn't keep messing with me! And Thank you cab driver for then taking us where we wanted to go! Hopefully, another cab came by soon after and got the guy :)

#3: The case of the horn

This actually was a biker who would NOT lay off his stupid horn. One thing you learn after living here awhile is how much the chinese people LOVE to use the horns in their cars.....not just for special occasions, but ALL the time, and any time they have to wait (which is often), and they lay on the horns for 20-30 seconds at a time...not just a quick beep beep! It is actually very annoying, frustrating, and doesn't help a baby to sleep when we are going places! So we were at the fabric market last friday, and this guy on an electric bike pulling a trailer was coming and started to honk.....and continued his loud, obnoxious, annoying honking for over 1 minute straight. Yes, Cash was in the path of him, and Ashley and I both yelled for him to come to us - but we were on opposite sides of the bike and so Cash looked up, frozen in fear from the blaring horn. I quickly grabbed him and helped pull him to the side, all while yelling at the stupid biker to stop honking as he was going to blast off my child's eardrums, it wasn't going to get him to move any faster, and he wasn't supposed to be riding there anyways. Hello! The guy was extremely rude and started yelling at me and shaking his fists and just carrying on in such a loud manner it was just outrageous! I did the only thing that came to me right there that I knew he would understand - flipped him the bird! (sorry mom, as I know you are probably most disappointed in me....and yes, i already repented of this and i know i probably should NOT have responded this way) Yes, in China they know what that means. I was so frustrated, we were soaking wet from the rain, and i was just trying to get myself and the kiddos into another cab to head back after it was such a debacle of a trip - but oh boy, what an adventure!!! (at least the cab driver who took us home was so nice and didn't even yell when Cash got the seats muddle from his shoes from the rain!)

Thanks to all the nice cab drivers who have actually been really helpful to us, especially when I am alone with the big stroller and 2 kids - most of them generally are - but this last week was one for the memories of the crazy cab stories!

4 comments:

Julie Nelson said...

Your stories made my day Steph. Thanks for posting them!!

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

Wow. You have guts...I think I would be scared to stand up for myself and would get walked and pushed all over in China. That's pretty impressive that you pulled a guy out of a cab. Good for you. And I got a good laugh at picturing you flipping a biker the bird. Too funny. Love you!

Lindsey said...

in defense of the chinese cab driver- if you were a cab driver and saw a kid get out with a wet bum and there was a puddle in the seat would you honestly smell it or would you yell at the customer to clean it up or pay... I am just saying maybe that guy wasn't as out of line as you think :)

Lisa said...

I had no idea about this. I will pray for Kim too! She is such a beautiful girl. I am glad that she is my cousin. Keep us posted.