Tuesday, January 10, 2012

We Made It!!!

We finally are here in Cali, after very short notice before we were to leave for Christmas! Crazy how fast plans can change. However, we packed up, shipped the cars, and headed off for our new adventure!

I have a lot to catch up on with our Christmas festivities, my bro's wedding, stay at Grammys, friends and family visits, and all that....but it will have to wait while I document our first few days here and travels to our new home!

I feel I have had the best attitude about this move as I have about any of our moves, and that is saying something. I have been excited for a change of scenery, warmer weather, the beach being close, being closer to family, and a new adventure and so have been pretty positive and I set off to church on Sunday with a happy outlook and sure I would meet some new friends. However, it was a different experience than I would have expected. In RS they did not even ask new people to introduce themselves or stand up or anything, in fact they didn't even welcome visitors at all, and not a single person said anything to me! I was a little disappointed and realize I might have to work a little harder than I was expecting to to make some new friends. I am going to try. A funny thing was a lady did grab my necklace and say "those are the most beautiful beads I have ever seen..." and then dropped them and went back to talking to the lady next to me ---- without so much of a "and are you new or visiting?", or anything else to me. I found that sort of funny. I am going to try to go to RS tomorrow tho and see if I can meet some people there. Also, Chip got introduced 3 times in priesthood and stuff and we realized there is a family in the ward that was out in Cville the past couple of years that we had met before and they live close and the mom is also pregnant with her 5th child so that is a good connection for us - and they have boys that should be great to play with our little guys! Hopefully she can teach me the ropes of this city!

Anyways, I am realizing this place has MANY similarities to my experiences in Beijing! We went to Costco on Saturday and felt like we were back in the IKEA of Beijing. I have NEVER been to such a packed Costco with so many people you could barely move. Apparently it is the busiest one in southern California and is always pretty busy! Awesome! Being pregnant and about the same far along I had a naustalgic moment to my life in Beijing and the sickness that went with it! But it was great we have a Costco! Then we went to the Wal-Mart! It was WAY WORSE than the Walmart we went to in China - it was on 3 levels, so disorganized and ghetto, and we were the ONLY white people in the place, and I would venture to guess that more people spoke English in our Chinese Wal-mart in Beijing than did at the one here! Very interesting! At least it didn't have the same smell that would make me sick! So very interesting and it is a very crowded city, with crazy traffic and people living on top of each other, and having to walk a bunch and all that stuff that I loved/hated about China! So I am drawing on lots of parallels between the two, and maybe that is helping me to not be so scared of tackling this place. Not sure! Today we went to a park that I walked to about 10 blocks away and I was one of 2 other moms in the place, and the other 70 women were nannies of the children they had.....another similarity between here and China. Made me laugh! The kids had fun playing in the sand tho - and that is one difference - here you can let your kids play in the sand, whereas we couldn't in China, so that's a fun thing!

Finally, our little walk to the beach. We live 15 blocks from the ocean and so yesterday I set out to walk down with the boys and hang out in the sand for a few hours. It was a beautiful day, and the walk there was great....at first. We got to where I thought it was, and realized it was a big cliff and lots of stairs down to get to the beach. This lady pointed left and told me we could get down on a ramp a few feet that way. I thanked her and we soon found a ramp. However, after we got down a very steep ramp about 300 yards I saw them - 3 flights of stairs we still had to conquer to walk over the bridge to get to the beach. I looked back, realized I wasn't pushing the stroller back up the steep hill, and we had to figure out something. Cash got out and I tipped the stroller and pushed Griff down the steps - it wasn't the best way, but we made it....or so I thought we had made it. Then I saw it - the very LONG stretch of sand, and very soft sand to get to the water....the stroller didn't go well in the sand, so I had to get Griff out, walk 30 feet with the stroller, set it down, go back and get Griff, and continue that route tell we could set up shop. I had no idea how we were going to get back!!!

But hey- look at these cute faces - they had a blast playing in the sand even though we hadn't even come prepared with beach toys or anything. It was a pretty day and we had fun for awhile!

This little guy loved to pick up and throw the sand every which way! He also enjoyed the water and I am going to have to worry about him running in and just diving right in!

Then it was time to go back - I was so tired and not sure I could make it, but we set out - and yes, this is the far stretch of sand I had to walk across packing my double stroller, diaper bag, and two kiddos across! Not easy, especially for a prego mama! When we were about 50 yards from the sidewalk this sweet girl who was running on the sidewalk came out and asked if she could take my stroller for me....In my mind I was so happy but tried to say I was ok. She was persistent and probably saw my stress and tiredness and said "let me just do my good deed for the day...you have kids let me just take it for you!" I wanted to cry I was so grateful to her kindness to me - and what a relief it was for me. So we got back, and then I had to figure out another way to get home since I coudln't hike the 3 flights of stairs with the kids and stroller now!

This was the cliff we had to find a way to get up!
Well, I found another route and involved me hiking up this LONG and steep hill, but at least no stairs! Great workout for me pushing my kids and gear up. I was so tired by the time I got home! We did finally make it home tho - 35 minutes later!!! And Cash already asked me to go back so guess he really enjoyed it! I am tired just thinking of doing it again tho! Think we need to find another route, or another beach or something! However, it is beautiful here and the weather is great! The best I have ever had in January! So we are excited for more adventures!
In coming we drove half way to Vegas and then stopped and stayed at the Bellagio! Best hotel and stay in Vegas I have ever had. We ate at the buffet there for dinner and breakfast, and it was fabulous! Our room was great, the service great, and our kids had fun too! A great decision to break the trip up! We already our planning a trip back there to spend more time at the pools and other fun stuff to see!
Cash enjoying this amazing horse in the lobby while we waited to get checked in at the Bellagio!
The biggest chocolate fountain in the world - apparently 26 feet high - looks decadent for sure!
Think I will have me some of that yumminess!!! (oh wait, sweets STILL make me sick in this pregnancy!)
Griffin sure liked looking at it though - and as he LOVES chocolate I am not surprised!

View out our awesome room at the Bellagio!!!
Looks beautiful at night right?!
We enjoyed the fountain show with music and all from our room - a great way to watch it and not miss anything every 15 minutes :)
Love the Frank Sinatra show music that was on one of the times!
And a quick view of it in the daylight - right before we headed out for our drive to our new home!!! Good times, and definitely would want to stay here again!
So our year has started off full of adventure, and will only bring about more over the next few months. I am excited for all the things 2012 will bring!!!

4 comments:

Brent and Britta said...

I can't believe I read this whole post and I STILL don't know WHERE in Cali you live!!! So excited (and jealous) for/of you!

Lindsey said...

You took some postcard worthy pics! I hope you love your time in CA. Are you watching the Bachelor, Im going to call you tomorrow...

hillary and britton said...

glad you made it! You'll be awesome at making friends. Does the walmart have pig feet and frozen toads ;)

merathon said...

ummmmmmm... you moved? had no idea you guys were moving to CA! as i'm looking outside at the snow falling, i have to say i wouldn't mind living in california either!