Monday, June 28, 2010

Overnight at Hospital - Still NO Baby!!!


Well, the crazy birth story of our second baby begins.....a little earlier than expected!

I had contractions hard for 2 hours on Thursday night, but convinced myself to ignore them and go to sleep. Friday night, however, they were worse - probably due to about 5 miles of walking that day, and I was about ready to go to hospital around midnight!

However, convinced myself to go to bed. Woke up and had more contractions from 5:30-7am and then they died off. Decided I was feeling pretty good around 10 am, and upon hearing my freind had went in and had her baby at 2 am in the night, was thinking I should have went we could have arrived at the same time!

However, decided to go off with Cash to a fun kids area and play and we set off. After being there a half hour decided was in so much pain was going to go to hospital and get checked, and also visit my friend Hilary and her new baby.

Cab ride = miserable - super bumpy and contractions were killing!

Got there around 1 pm, and got hooked up to a stress test. THey told me I was having pretty hard contractions every 2-3 minutes, was dilated to a 1, and so were admitting me!

What? I knew Chip hadn't believed me so when I called to tell him it took 3 times to convince him I was serious! Anyways, being frustrated I was only at a 1 I told him to hang out with Cash and put him down for a nap and once things started to go on I would call!

They took me down to the Maternity suites and I got my room, right next door to my friend! I stopped by to see her baby before going to mine, as I was feeling ok at this point, and we laughed that we were neighbors - totally the full moon bringing it on!

Well, once in my room the nurse wanted to draw blood and start IV. I asked if we could wait til I had at least dilated to a 2 and before I was getting my epidural - but they said "your second labor will go so fast we have to do it now".

Anyone who knows me well knows I hate needles - and so after she missed TWICE - my left arm killing me - and told me she was so sorry and would get someone else to come, I was really not liking it. Another girl came in and put it in the top of my hand, which hurt a LOT, but at least it went in! (i have easy veins to hit so who knows how she missed so bad!)

Anyways, then nothing occurred for 8 more hours. In fact, sometimes I had to ask if i was contracting because I couldn't feel it. The Dr. Came in and looked at my monitors and said that I was still having contractions ever 2-3 minutes, but hadn't dilated anymore! BUMMER!

So she said I should stay they night, keep being monitored, an din the morning when I was 37 weeks we would break water and start pitocin. Chip was concerned at 3 weeks early if this was good idea, but she said I would go really quick the way things looked.

Chip took Cash home and it was the first night I was away from Cash sleeping at a different place. He cried for all of 10 seconds when he said goodbye, but did awesome with Chip - and I cried for about 10 minutes - it was sad and I realized soon all my time won't be devoted to my little guy, it will be split. I worry about that!

They told me to try to sleep, which I couldn't do really well all night, and not because I was in pain, but I just wasn't feeling too well. It was a long night, and by morning I was not feeling anything and had a feeling I was going home. Then they started again. The nurse came in and said they needed to monitor me - and that the contractions were once again ever 3-5 minutes.

However, when Dr. checked me - the new one on for the day - I still hadn't dilated and so she said they were sending me home! What? i said well if I am still contracting every 3-5 minutes then how do I know when to come back? That is when you come in! However, at this point they were every 10. She said maybe to come back in a day or 2 or if they became more painful!

I was SO frustrated! Not because I wasn't in active labor anymore but because my arm looked like a war zone - i have a 5 inch bruise between my elbow and wrist where the needle missed, a big bruise on my wrist, and a sore top of hand where it finally went in, all for nothing - and I am going to have to do that all over again the next time!

I actually was relieved to no have had him in some ways - I really wanted to take a picture that morning before I went in of my belly at 37 weeks, and the battery was dead so hadn't done it. I had Chip charge it up so that I could take the one above this morning, with my arm that is all battered too! (that is why I am holding it up!)

So now I have been home a day, still having contractions, still feeling nauseous, and just wondering when I will be heading back! They told me to come back, and some women come in 2, 3, or 4 times on their second baby - i don't want that!!!!

On a positive note - I had gained 6 lbs. as of my apt. on Thursday from the previous 2 week checkup, and I wasn't that excited abou it. But the Dr. said it was good since the previous 10 I hadn't gained any. However, as of Saturday, just 2 days later when I got weighed upon being admitted, I was down 8 - so in essence lost 2! THat was a happy thought for me! (altho I think I was just retaining a lot of water on thursday!)

Anyways, so I am 37 weeks and am curious as to whether I will be sitting around twiddling my thumbs having contractions for the next 3 weeks, of if something will pick up soon and this little guy will be here this week! Hopefully at least the contractions die off if he wants to wait - cuz I am in pain and NOT sleeping well at all at night! And poor Cash, I can't do much during the day! So I hope he comes sooner - we'll see what happens at my apt. Wed!!!!

3 comments:

Adria said...

Dang it all that pain for nothing. You look too little have a baby, anyways. That's totally frustrating, though. I can't believe they admitted you at only 1cm. My doctors won't admit until you're at least a 3 or 4. I go to the hospital when I can't talk through the contractions. Then I know it's the real thing. Hope the next time it goes better and baby comes out. Let us know when it happnes. BTW, do you have name yet?

Lily said...

so great to talk to you and hear about this craziness. that bruise does look huge, ouch. you do look too little to be full term! keep us posted on your appt and progress! love you! miss you!

Suzie Soda said...

You look cute.l. I had false labor with Jordan ( my #2 2 weeks early) and had to go home, Then I stayed home too long and barely made it to the hospital. I had a nautral childbirth that time. We are praying all goes well. xoxoxo