Monday, May 9, 2011

Different sort of Mothers Day 2011 & Safari Park Adventure!

So when you think of Mother's Day as a mom, you think of sleeping in, breakfast in bed, no diapers, getting pampered, taking a nap possibly, etc etc..... Well, that wasn't the case at our house this year! However, as I thought about it all day long going through the tasks I had to attend to - I realized something - my Mother's Day this year was VERY representative of actually what my life is like really EVERY day! It wasn't a change, and although I would like the day off, I realize how lucky I am to actually be a mom and what that means and the blessing I have of having 2 little angels in my home to care for each day, a loving husband by my side, and mothers with whom I can call for advice, recipes, to talk to, laugh with, cry with, vent, and just learn from. So although different, and not maybe what I had dreamt of - I still had a good day and am happy to be a mom!

My day started off with Chip attempting to get up with the kids and make me breakfast in bed! (although I wasn't asleep and came down early before he was done) It was a really sweet gesture and made me smile. As we all ate our delicious breakfast Chip said he wasn't feeling so good. Afterwards he said he needed to go to the office for a little bit to get something sent out and went upstairs to change. However, he didn't come back down for quite a while. In calling him to come help with Cash I took one look and knew something was wrong - he said he was feeling nauseous and then it hit - he went running for the toilet! After 1 puke episode he thought he might feel better - but a little while later we heard him puking his guts out again upstairs and I realized it wasn't going to be a dream day! Instead, it consisted of me running to get him sprite and gatorades and stuff at the store to try and help get fluids in him, trying not to get too queasy myself and not knowing if I was actually sick too or just sick from listening to him! Trying to get the kids and I ready and out the door to church!

On the way there I started feeling really sick so we pulled into a park and got out and I fed the kids lunch on a picnic blanket. Then, feeling better we got back in the car and went off to church. Battling the 2 kids during sacrament meeting by myself was a joke - Cash was really belligerant and grumpy since it is during naptime and wanted to make buzzy and the zebra crash to the ground as often as possible, while Griffin wanted to grab every toy that Cash had and play with him (which made things worse). I was counting down the minutes til it ended, and then the meeting went 20 minutes over - a mother's nightmare when she is battling little ones!

The rest of church was all right - since Cash loves nursery and went happily, but Griffin and I ended up driving around the parking lot so he could sleep, and then upon moving him in for RS since someone had been asked to teach my class for me, he woke up and we ended up in the hall the whole time. Definitely not a relaxing or really spiritually uplifting church experience.

When we got home Chip was gone to work, saying he felt a little better and he had to get something done - so I was left to figure out dinner for the kids and I, and since I was feeling pretty sick at this point nothing sounded good - we basically just got through the day til dad came home. Then we decided to get out and take a walk in the fresh air.

This was the highlight of my day - walking with my best friend, enjoying a beautiful night, and the kids actually being quiet and just enjoying the outdoors too. After we got back it was feedings and bedtime for Griff, and then upon finding out we didn't get to talk to my bro on a mission we got his number and called him ourselves - luckily we caught him before he left and talked for a few minutes!!! I love my missionary bro and it was good to hear from him. We were supposed to talk to Chip's sister Heidi on her mission too, but somehow their family also failed to get us in on the call so we never did get to speak to her! Sad!

Anyways, we ended the day with going to bed early, exhausted and tired, after dealing with a very sad Cash who woke up with night terrors screaming and took about 1/2 hour to calm down!

So this wasn't the day I planned, but it was - REALISTICALLY - a very normal day in the life of a mom - and for that I celebrate the fact that I do, inspite of sickness and other not so fun things mommys deal with each day - love being a mom! Happy mom's day to all you great moms out there too!

I decided to just declare that Saturday was my moms day celebration (like our friend Tyler whose b-day was on mothers day) so we celebrated by going to the safari park - SO Much fun for the kiddos...and we enjoyed it too!!! Thanks Crofts for inviting us!

At the first - all the kiddos (minus Griffin)

The kids and dads got in the back of the truck and fed the animals - Cash was excited about the zebras and LOVED this!

Wyatt with a deer, and Tyler with a funky bird - I was in the front of the truck - scared that these would bite me or Griffin!

The llamas were funny - they really do appear snobby I think! Reminded me of Emperors Groove

Cash in the hat ready to go - it was a hot day - and he wasn't afraid to feed the animals!

So much fun - love my cute little guy!

Pic of Griffin - who wanted to lean out and see all the animals and touch them too, although I was happy to be up front safe inside the truck!

The guy who let us pet the kangaroo - she was raised for the first 3 months by being in a gunny sack carried around by a human lady - and so she is kind and nice to humans! Then a fun waterloo or something!

Cash and Pierce - cute buddies!

The camels were huge, hairy, and very fun to see!

I thought Cash would be a little nervous, but he did great around them!

Chip making friends with the camels!

Family pics - gotta love trying to get 2 little boys to both look -but we got one!

Hanging on the turtle!



4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Good for you for braving church alone with the two boys! The Safari Park looks amazing and your hair looks awesome!

hillary and britton said...

Rough day! But glad you saw the good in it. The safari park looks awesome

Shawn and Megan said...

I love reading your blog Steph! My Sunday was rough too, but nowhere near as bad as yours! You're a fantastic mom!

Phyllis said...

Great blog. Love your good attitude!!! And the safari looked so fun.