Wednesday, July 14, 2010

INTRODUCING......Our Newest Addition



Griffin David Brown
Born: July 13, 2010
5:09 pm
7 lbs. 2 oz.
19 inches long


We are in love with this new addition and couldn't be happier at his safe arrival!


His Birth Story:
Well, after laboring for a total of 18 days straight I decided I had had enough. Before my apt. on the 13th I woke up, went to the gym and walked on the treadmill for 45 minutes, then walked up the 11 flights of stairs to my apartment, showered, did a few squats, walked out to find a taxi, walked up the 3 flights at the Dr. office, so that hopefully they would say I was ready.

The Dr. said i could have the baby today, or i could wait and come back in the morning and she would induce me, whatever I thought was best! Then, after she checked me and did something to help move things along I started having contractions and she said I should be hooked up to the fetal stress monitor to see how frequent and strong the contractions were before leaving. i had decided to come back the next day, if nothing happened on its own. Well, after being hooked up and seeing the contractions were every 2 minutes again, the Dr. said "you don't choose the day, the baby does and he is coming today!!!"

She then said I was to be admitted, and if i wanted she could break my water and i could have the baby by 1 pm - this was at 11 am! I said "when will I get my epidural then?" "oh, well than if you want epidural you will have baby around 8 pm tonight" she said!

I went down to the 2nd floor, got in my room, got hooked up to the machines, called Chip and had him get stuff together and come after a friend came over to stay with Cash, got my IV started (which went in great this time and was not painful!!!) and began the waiting process.

The contractions were regular and getting stronger, but to me they actually hurt less than when I had been upstairs. The Dr. came in again and said since I wasn't dilating tho what did i want to do - should she break my water - not wanting to miss my epidural we decided to start me on pitocin, then give epidural, then have her break water!

I got my epidural when I was at a 3, because heard it takes way longer for them to do them here and get the medicine going in you, and it also went much better as far as getting it went. However, I could still feel my legs awhile later and the anesthiologist informed me that if i couldn't that meant the dose was too strong. i knew this was a bad sign! They never inserted a catheter or anything, and in fact made me stand up and walk to the bathroom after I had the epidural - something that does NOT happen in teh US!

After i got back in bed I started to feel EVERY contraction on my left side - and they were REALLY REALLY hurting! i told the nurse and she tried to help me by having me lean on my left side - but they just kept getting worse! She went to get the anesthiologist and he came back in to administer more pain relief and see what the problem was. I could still feel them horribley bad when the Dr. came in to break my water. She did that and they said that would maybe help fix the problem - NO IT DID NOT!!!! They just got worse! At this point I really thought I was going to die! My back was hurting so bad too and i couldn't figure out why only my right side was numb, and my legs and left side weren't!

As they put more medicine in, the pain did not go away, but just got worse and worse. The dr. said I would deliver around 7 or 8, and that she would be back - she had broke my water at 4:55 pm and then she left at this point! Well, the next contraction came and I told Chip I wasn't going to make it if this lasted much longer. They had said I was at a 3 when she broke my water - well, the next contraction came and i felt so much pressure and pain and said "I think he is coming now - I can feel him and I want to push!" The nurse then lifted up the blanket and both Chip and her said they could see his head - and she said I was at a 10 and ready to go. So i went from a 3 to a 10 in less than 15 minutes, all from when the water was broken! no wonder I was in so much pain with each contraction as they kept coming! So they paged the Dr. and they told me to push! i said I could still feel everything but when the Dr. came in she said I needed to push anyways! What? This was a big fear!

However, her holding my leg and pushing it toward me actually helped with the pain! Well, 3 pushes and he was OUT!!!! It was So fast! Even Dr. Zhou Li said "this was much faster - the baby cooperated well!" He seemed so much smaller than Cash, and that is because he is - He is 2 lbs 1 oz smaller, 2 inches shorter, and a much smaller head! This made the delivery much easier as i hardly had any tearing and already feel so much better than i did with Cash! I was able to hold him, feed him, and just enjoy things right after he was born - it was such an amazing experience and truly i feel so grateful that it went as well as it did - even with the epidural problems!

He is healthy, happy, and just a perfect little angel!

Thanks to my friend Ashley for staying with Cash all day and night and making it so we didn't worry too much about him - it was his first night away from Chip or I and it was a worry of mine, but he did great! He was SO excited to see Griffi today - when he came to the hosptial with Chip he walked in and gave me a big hug, and then looked at Griff and said "hi Griff, hi Griffi....love you Griffi!" it was so sweet and all on his own and brought tears to my eyes! I hope they are best buddies soon - he seems so happy about it and has been so great! Hopefully that continues and he doesn't get jealous, as that has been a worry of mine as well! I love having my family of boys, and I love my wonderful husband who I could not have made it through this experience without! The miracle of life is amazing!


We are so blessed to add this little spirit into our family! We love you Griffin!


So happy to have this little guy in my arms!
Getting measured - he was smaller than All of us expected!

All bundled

The proud father moment!

love the expression! all ready in love with each other!

cash saying "cheese" and being so excited holding his brother for the first time!

my 3 favorite boys in my life!

happy to be the mom of 2 cute sons!

14 comments:

Phyllis said...

Wonderful!!! He's so great! What a cute family!

Sara Stevenson said...

Holy Cow..pretty much NO epidural?? You go girl!:) I can't believe how small he is what a little cutie pie. Give him a kiss from me! Love ya!

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you guys! What a beautiful little family. I love you Griffin! I'm so glad things went relatively well and everyone is healthy. What a relief! Can't wait to meet him and see you guys this fall. I hope your recovery goes quickly and well. Love you so much!!

Amy and Clark said...

Hooray! We are so happy for you! He is just adorable!

paigeandbryce said...

Congrats! He is adorable! And I feel your pain - I had the exact smae problem with my second. My epidural only worked on the right side too! But I was kind of grateful for the experience because we understand a lot more what natural child birth is like now, right? :) Anyway, enjoy your little one(s)!

Brent and Britta said...

13th birthdays rock! He's so tiny! So sorry about your epidural! But at least it was fast! (minus the 18 days of course) CONGRATULATIONS MAMA!

Bart and Krista said...

Congratulations to you guys! What an interesting labor story. He's a cutie!

Rian Krommenhoek said...

Hurray! Make sure he knows that his Auntie Ri was the first outsider to get to see him, even though she was in America and not in China where she should have been. He looks so much like Cash. Hope we get to see you all soon.

Suzie Soda said...

So good to hear from you today and know al went well. He is a cutie and you make a darling family. Call me again on a differnet phone so I can hear you when you get home. Love you, Suz xoxoxo

Lindsey said...

hooray!! i am so happy it was smooth sailing!!

Lisa said...

I am so glad he is here! I have been checking your blog all the time waiting for the news. I am glad that he was smaller and your labor went better. I like how you named him after your Dad. You look beautiful! It is fun to see Cash being the big brother. Love ya!

The Reichmans said...

Congrats!!!! I am so happy for you and so glad things went so much smoother this time! I got to hear the news from a very proud grandma:) glad cash already loves him:)

Adria said...

Awwww! I'm so happy it happened. Sounds like you gave natural child birth on one half of your side, not that it really reduces the pain. Way to go!!! You look fantastic in those photos, too. I always look horrible in the hospital pics. Actually, the best I ever looked was after delivering Maycie naturally. Must be some special reward for the pain.

Well, welcome to the world little Griffin (I love the name). Now you have your little Chinese souvenier. You can come home now :). Love ya and miss ya.

Loquacious Leslie said...

Wow! I had that happen also. The anesthesiologist should turn you to the opposite side after your epidural otherwise you will only get numb on one side. Not fun!