Thursday, January 3, 2013

Becoming a Ski Bum!!!

If there is one thing I never really cared for - it might just be skiing.  Putting two long sticks on your feet so that you then become a slippery hazard to all around you, while freezing out in the cold snowy atmosphere, while being terrified of falling or hitting a tree, or for that matter falling off the lift (yes that has happened to me before!), or just hurting yourself so that then who knows how you will take care of your 3 cute kiddos that you can barely do when fully well -- yeah it just doesn't sound so fun!  
However, if there is one thing that Chip lives for - it just might be skiing.  He absolutely loves it!  He loved it enough when we lived in Provo to organize his school schedule completely to allow himself the maximum amount of time on the mountain! He loves it enough to want to take a vacation for a week somewhere in the icy weather! He loves it enough to keep extending his vacation time in Utah to get a few more good ski days in, to take his son and put him in ski school to try to instill in Cash the love that he has for the sport.  He even loves it enough that he was willing to take a dance class for his wife one semester in return for her learning to ski.  He would love it if I shared his adoration and love for the sport.  Well, I only went once the whole time I was at school with him (my semester was a little demanding and so couldn't really....or at least that is what I am claiming), so this year I determined that since I wasn't pregnant or tied to being at home with a newborn I would actually join him and learn!
Don't get me wrong - I was still totally TERRIFIED! The whole way up to the resort I was trying to think of what I would do if I hated it and just couldn't get myself down the mountain. 
However, in the end it turned out to be a great adventure!

I mean - look at these amazing views!  It is so calm and peaceful and beautiful to just take in God's creation and be surrounded by the mountains and beautiful snowy trees. (at least from the car)

Although cold it was clear roads and a great day to go!

The first day was ok.  I took a 1 hr. private lesson that was great, and then a 2.5 hour group lesson which wasn't so great.  Then I met up with Chip for lunch.  We had friends that were there and so we ate with them and then went back out.  Hudson, the 8 year old had also been in ski school while Justin (his dad) and Chip skied together all morning.  Since I was only qualified at this point to barely do the green runs I told them they could leave and go do blacks like Hudson wanted.  However, he decided he wanted to come with us and so we set out.  I should have known I was in over my head as we were on the lift and I saw signs that had blue squares on them.  I mentioned again that I wasn't qualified and Chip said I would be ok.  Well, as soon as we got off Hudson and Justin were off and speeding down the mountain, leaving me in their dust.  I could tell Chip really wanted to go with them but he was waiting and trying to be patient with me while I slowly inched myself down.  I was pretty timid, very inexperienced, not very good at even the snowplow on one side, and it was not so much fun.  I did make it down, however, and was determined to get better so we went up to do it again.  What was I thinking?! you might ask.  I asked myself the same thing.  The second time down we ended with a really steep hill that I couldn't figure out and being cold, tired, and frustrated at how terrible I was I soon became angry that Chip had taken me on such a "hard" run.  He said he thought it was the same run and he was sorry - but I wasn't so sure I believed him at this point.  Needless to say I got into the car and the tears began to fall!  I hate feeling I am not good at something - or more than that that I am terrible.  I hate being scared and just like I am telling my body to do something but it isn't working.  
Anyways, it didn't end super great and I wasn't sure I was going to ever want to go again!

However,  2 days later on Monday Chip decided he wanted to extend our stay one more day so he could go skiing one more time.  And he wanted me to go with him again.  I was less than thrilled.  My mom said she would watch the kids for us, again (sooooo nice of her), and so I felt I had no way out.  I did want the break though and I told myself that Chip does a LOT (and yes he actually does a TON) of things because I like them or want him too and he never complains and so I should do something he wanted for a change and this was it - it just so happens it is something that I might die doing.  OK I know the likelihood of that is that I probably wouldn't die, but I am dramatic and in my mind I just might.  However, I determined I would get better and take more lessons and learn to love it.

I took a 3.5 hour private lesson this time and it was FABULOUS!!!! It is definitely the way to go if you want to learn how to ski as an adult and you are a beginner.  By the end I had learned to do parallel turns, skid and get down the mountain without stopping, gone down the blue square run in parts that I didn't even try the first day, and conquered some of my biggest fears of the big hills (at least big to me). I was excited to show Chip what I had learned and could do this time.  After lunch it was me who wanted to get back out there and decided where to go.  I had a rough first run, but after that the next 3 were great.  I was happy my instructor told Chip that for a second time skier I was doing amazing and actually really good and had the potential to be a great skier.  I was just on cloud 9 because I was actually skiing and also having fun at the same time.  I was even sad to leave this day.  I found myself wishing we lived there so I could go more and practice what I had learned.  It was actually very fun!

I will never be as good as Chip - but I hope to get more chances and just be able to conquer the hills without being so scared and continue to get better.  I can actually say I really liked skiing now!

Chip and me!


No one I would rather be with ANYWHERE!!!

The views were AMAZING up here!

On top of the world!

Great date - thanks honey for putting me in those lessons! 





1 comment:

Phyllis said...

love the post....and yes you have a great, super, wonderful, amazing husband!!!!! The best son-in-law EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you so much Chip!!!!