Sunday, June 3, 2012

Introducing Miss Ivy Jane Brown!!!!


Born: May 28, 2012 10:44 p.m.
Weight: 8 lbs. 1 oz.
Length: 20 3/4 inches
Head: 13.5 inches

We love our beautiful baby girl and are so blessed to have her in our home.  She truly is a little piece of heaven and I have found myself just sitting and holding and staring at her when I should have been probably doing other things, but I can't take myself away and put her down.  We love our little angel!

Her birth story:
Well this really started awhile ago when I started having contractions every 5-10 minutes consistently daily as I did with Griffin.  In fact, probably about the exact same time - 3 weeks early.  The Dr. would say at each appointment I wouldn't make it through the weekend, and yet somehow I would find myself once again sitting in the office hoping things had progressed the next week, only to hear that they actually hadn't changed at all!  What?! I would say - after all my walking, carrying Griffin, trips to the gym, still no change?! But this little girl just wanted to do things her own way, and since they are not into helping induce or do anything out here to have the baby come early all I could do was wait and hope she came at a convenient time when I would have some help with the other kids and Chip would be around to be at the birth! (and not commuting in California)

Well, Saturday the 26th I woke up with Griffin at 6 and took him on a 1.5 mile walk, then went on another 1.5 mile walk with weights, and then went to the gym for a step aerobic class, hoping it would do something - and yet nothing!  So we enjoyed the rest of Saturday with Kevin and Hollie coming down and digging for treasure that daddy set up, the splash pad for a cool off, and then a great dinner at Belmont BBQ!!!  I was having contractions and uncomfortable, but nothing too great!

Sunday morning nothing was going on - in fact, all of Sunday was pretty much contraction free!  Thanks for a day off finally!  But that night the contractions came hard and consistent and after timing them for an hour at every 3-5 minutes and thinking they were getting harder we were all set to go in - and then I went and packed my bag, and then they stopped!  Bummer!  Chip was exhausted and so I sent him to bed and said if they picked up I would get him, and cancelled my friend who was coming over to stay with the boy.  Well I never slept, and they kept coming regularly, but never really went anywhere.  So just a whole lot of uncomfort and a very long, SLEEPLESS night!  I was up at 6 still because of them and so decided to just get my walk in early since it was supposed to be in the 90s on Memorial Day!  I went on a 5 mile walk outside in the 78 degree heat, so humid and sweat my guts out walking the hills of Charlottesville.  I figured this would do the trick.  When I got back I felt much better, but the contractions now were gone.  So I gave up and got ready and we set off for some errands.  To Target and then Sam's Club we went.  By the time we were done at Sam's I was back having them again, even having to stop walking during some and decided we needed to go to the hospital.  We brought the kids home, put G down for his nap, and called a friend to come stay with the kids til my bro could come down if I was admitted. The contractions had once again died off by now, but I wanted to have a labor check anyways and since the office was closed decided to go.  When my friend arrived Chip was upstairs because Griffin had woken up and now wasn't going back to sleep.  So in the end we decided she would take me and if something was happening we would switch until Kevin got here.

HOSPITAL TRIP #1:
We got there and I was feeling fine by now, but hoping the contractions would show up since I could still feel them.  We went in and the lady who let us back said "yeah, you don't look like you are going to have a baby today!"  Boo! I was hoping she was wrong.  I got back to my room, got my gown on and the monitors hooked up, and was hoping for the best.  I had an awesome nurse who was so great and I really wanted to be admitted.  Well, the contractions were there, ever 3-5 minutes consistently, but she said they weren't hard enough - and honestly I was in no pain so I wasn't surprised.  I asked if that meant they would for sure send me home and she said it depended on when the Dr. checked me if I had progressed at all.  He came in and informed me that unfortunately I had not made any progress since Wednesday - still at a 3-4, still 60% effaced, and still head was at a -1.  Oh boo!  I tried to convince him to strip my membranes and move things along but he wouldn't do it (they don't do anything out here to help induce labor!)  I was frustrated and he said I could stay and walk the halls or go home and see if it changed and I opted for that.  Of course, by the time I left I had to stop during a contraction before getting to the car and then had to stop twice while talking to breathe through 2 more on the way home.  But I didn't want to go back and then get sent home, so I figured they would die off.

I walked in the door and the boys wanted to go do something fun - they decided Splash Pad was where they were going to enjoy the 92 degree heat and get cool for a bit.  I decided to stay home and try to take a nap because I was so exhausted and hot I couldn't think of anything else.  Unfortunately our AC unit was not working right and so inside our house wasn't so cool, and upstairs in my bedroom was about 80+ degrees.  This made sleeping not happen and my contractions were now so consistent and hard that I couldn't even if I was cool enough.  So instead I monitored them, and monitored them, and monitored them.....that with a few other reasons made me call the Dr. back and ask what he thought I should do.  He said to keep monitoring and then come in if anything changed.

So the next few hours went.  The boys came back, they left to get BBQ again! It was closed so they picked up McDonalds and came back--- I was still enduring contractions, picking up the house and stopping every 4 minutes and 45 seconds to endure another one.  After I had done this for about 2.5 hours they switched to every 2.47 minutes but lasted not as long, so I thought they might stop.  Chip kept asking if we should go to hospital, but not wanting to get sent hom and also knowing I had people coming over for girls night I decided to just keep tracking and monitoring them for awhile until someone came at 8:30 but then we could go in.  Well, finally the time came and my friend showed up around 8:45.  We told her we needed to leave to the hospital, the kids were asleep, and as soon as we knew the baby was for sure coming my brother would drive over and stay.  In all greatness this part worked out great for everyone because the kids never even knew til morning we were gone :)

HOSPITAL TRIP #2!
This time the drive to the hospital was much different!  I was in so much pain with every contraction, and to top it off was experiencing back pain that was excruciating.  I told Chip it felt like every contraction I had it felt like someone was shooting me in the back with a taser gun and paralyzing me there too, and I wanted an epidural the moment we got to the hospital.  It was a much different walk into the labor and delivery room and I realized at this point I had endured contractions for almost 5 straight hours at home, hard and close, and probably I had waited too long to come in.  Oh well, at least we made it!  They brought me back and got me into my room and told me to change into my gown.

Here I am with my last pic of being pregnant with little Ivy Jane, at a day shy of 39 weeks!  I was enduring a contraction during this photo so yes, not a super comfortable time!  It was 9:30 pm!


After I changed I met my new nurse, who was also great! I told her I wanted an epidural ASAP and she said that because no one else was in labor right now, and it was a holiday, the Dr. had gone home and was just on call, and we had to wait for him to come back in and check me and then he had to call the anesthesiologist and order my epidural, she couldn't order it.  I told her he had better get in here quick.  Upon getting me on the monitor she checked me and told me I was at a 4-5 now and 80% effaced, but still -1 head station.  Well, at least things had changed, so we called Kevin and Hollie and told them to head over and that we were having a baby tonight.  I was in so much pain at this point that she told me she would start my IV and give me some fentinol to take the edge off before I could get my epidural - she said it would give me a very funny feeling like I was drunk!  Boy was she right.  It was a very bizarre feeling.  I felt like I was flying into the sky on balloons like in the show up and was totally feeling just high and loopy.  It did help take the edge off.  Luckily because the hospital was slow the anesthesiologist was there and with no one else needing him he did come in and start setting up before the Dr. arrived.  When the Dr. did come in he said "well you look different now then this afternoon!" I tried to smile but was in the middle of a hard contraction and so he said he would let me get my epidural first and then check me after.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Well, once it was in I was told it would take about 20 minutes to fully kick in but each contraction should feel less and less.  Halleluah! I thought! Relief would soon be on its way!  Also, then maybe I could get some sleep and be rested before meeting our little girl.  Well, the Dr. came over and told me I was now at a 7 and 90% effaced, head still -1, and he was going to break my water.  I should have said to wait til the epidural kicked in after what happened with Griffin, but I didn't and so we proceeded.  Within 5 minutes of him breaking it, still standing in the room and the anesthesiologist and the nurse all standing close by too I had another contraction and told him I thought the baby was coming out.  He walked over and looked down and said "yep, you are at a 10, let's start pushing!"  What???!!! REALLY?!!!! I wasn't too surprised, but man I wanted more time because I was still having a lot of back pain and still feeling quite a lot but we had to go ahead anyways.  I kept saying I couldn't do it and  the Dr. and Chip and the nurse were all very encouraging telling me I was doing great and that she was almost out.  Chip was actually the best coach and hearing him tell me I could do it gave me energy I didn't think I had.  In looking back I was a little surprised at how much he relaxed and helped me at this point because during the contractions earlier he wasn't as good.  But when it came time to get here out he was my rock, and made all the difference.  I told the Dr. to grab her and pull her out, and within a few more minutes, a few more encouraging words to keep pushing - out came our little Ivy Jane!
She was perfect. The cord was wrapped around her neck so the Dr. had to cut it before Chip could cut his part, and when they handed her to me she wasn't crying and that scared me so I asked why - but within a few more seconds she was fine and we learned, she has no problem with her lungs.  In fact, she has a great set of pipes!!!  She can definitely let herself be heard!  But she was perfect.  Simply perfect.  She was right about what I thought she would weigh - being exactly in the middle in all stats of my two boys, and she has her own look to her.  At first I thought maybe she looked like Cash upon birth, but then after a few minutes holding her thought she didn't.  She has more hair then the boys, altho not by much, as my babies are bald.  It is darker tho then the other two and she is very much more olive skinned then them!  She is beautiful, and sweet, and I was so overwhelmed with love and emotion and gratitude for being entrusted to be this little angel's mother.  I love you Miss Ivy!  

So we went in and arrived at hospital at 9:30 pm, and she was born at 10:44 pm - doesn't get much faster than that.  I was fine and feeling great right after, and walked to my new room a half hour later, and then because it is my third child and I was SOOOOO exhausted from the day and previous nights events we opted to have her stay in the nursery for the night so we could get some sleep.  Funny thing was sleep didn't come easy.  I was just too excited and so after seeing her a little bit more finally sent her again and then was able to sleep for a bit.  She is a great baby and we are all loving her!

Crazy that it is already June, that she is finally here after what seemed like an endless 9 months, and that I have 3 children.  We are now a family of 5.  We love it that little Ivy Jane is part of our family!
What a true blessing she is!!!

Pictures below of our hospital stay!

First getting checked out!!!


At first glance she looks sort of like Cash, but then after looking back to his pictures she actually doesn't at all!


Using those lungs!



This whole world thing is a hard experience!!!

Finally some peace!

As you can hear she has a set of lungs that once they were cleared she knows how to use!

They brought her over and asked me to hold her against my skin so she could warm up a little because she was a little cold!  I don't blame her because I was freezing after and couldn't stop shivering for about an hour!!!  So in love with my little girl!

All warm and bundled and happy - ready for her first night on earth!


First family photo as a family of 5!!!  

Cash was SO SWEET when he came in the room to see her for the first time....he walked in and said "hi mom, where's Ivy Jane?  then he saw her on my lap and said "awwww.....she is so cute, and she is so tiny!"  after about 3 minutes of staring at her in awe he scrunched up his nose, looked at me and said "but mom she doesn't have blonde hair - her hair is too dark - I wanted her to have blonde hair I told you!"  Well, hope he can still love her as much if she doesn't go blonde, cuz she is the darkest of all my 3 kiddos!

 2 big brothers who love their sister, and one proud daddy!

Uncle Kevin with Cash and Ivy! (yes he took off his hat just barely here!)

Didn't take Cash or Griff long to make themselves at home in my room - Cash was content on the bed, while G tried to touch every button he possibly could, and called the nursing station a few too many times probably!

The 2 boys making funny faces and ready to take their mommy home!

I missed these two the day I was in the hospital, but man it was much more peaceful there then it is at home!

Sleeping Beauty!

 So fun to try on different bows and accessories!  

 Everyone who came in commented how much they love her name!

2 of my favorite little clips - I could just sit and stare at her all day!



so sweet!


Looking on in awe of their new sister!


Sweetness from the boys!

Oh how we all love her!

checking out our little bundle!

loving this one of our new family!


Can we really have 3 kiddos now? Where has the time gone?

Sneaky Griffin and daddy - ready to go home!


Cash giving kisses and telling her she can sit by him in the car on the way home!



 Ready for her first trip out to our house!


What a sweetheart.......and soon photos from her first photoshoot will be up!!!
She is perfect in every way!!!!
Love you Miss Ivy Jane Brown!!!




6 comments:

Lindsey said...

You both look great! It looks like she can scream so loud! Can we plan a vacation to get our girlies together!

Lisa said...

I am so happy that she is here! She is such a doll! I am glad your hard pregnancy is over now. I hope you have a easy recovery. I loved hearing all the cute things Cash said about Ivy. You can tell he adores his baby sister and will be there to protect her. Love you lots!!

Amy and Mike said...

We're so happy for you guys! It will be such a treat to have a girl now! Congrats!

hillary and britton said...

Congratulations!!! We are so happy for you. She is so sweet

Brent and Britta said...

Born on Rowen's birthday! And Rowen was born 14 minutes after arriving at the hospital, so it does get quicker! ;) she is adorable! Keep those bows on so she gets used to them and doesn't try to pull them off when she gets bigger! Love that she has big brothers! That's the best!

Cecia said...

Love the play by play recap!!! Perfect post Steph! Welcome Ivy!